Thursday, October 21, 2010

Chickens and Old Friends

Today I had the opportunity to help Nina serve lunch for her mother's 81 birthday. It was one of those things were I had other stuff planned, but she needed help so I decided that was more important then my plans.
It was my first time serving, or even eating a meal done in courses. I'm not even used to sitting down for a meal, much less one with 2 forks and spoons and yea. It was neat.

A meal with "old' people?

I must admit I was a little apprehensive, but I loved it!!! I thought it was so cool that these ladies have known eachother since grade school and still get together and talk about life. I listened to all their stories and how things have changed since they were my age. I couldn't help but think about what it will be like for me when I'm 81. I pray that my best friends now and I will still be able to get together and talk about everything, just like the 'old days'. haha!

The thing that sorta worried me the most was what would the conversation be like at the table. I come from a family where anything and everything is talked about when we sit down together. I didn't want to be bored with them talking about the weather.

I don't even know if the weather was even mentioned till the last 10 minutes of me being there.  Eighty-one or eighteen girls are girls and that means you get them together and they talk about 'girl' things!! :) The most memorable conversation was about chickens and cutting their heads off and cleaning them out and all that fun stuff. AT THE LUNCH TABLE! I couldn't help but laugh. I even got to share a few stories, but I actually...ok...yes I'm serious here....I liked being the quiet one! They had so many funny stories and memories and they are so spunky. I hope I'm that full of energy and humor when I'm in my 80s! 
The thing that impressed me the most was that through all these years they didn't lose contact. I'm sure they've had their disagreements and such, just like all friends, but they moved on and didn't allow that to ruin the friendship. I pray that I will be able to do the same.

....and that is my two cents of the day....


God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment