Monday, September 27, 2010

Airplanes and Panera Bread

I'M TELLING YOU GOD WAS LAUGHING WHEN HE MADE ME!
My story today revolves around just a normal trip to the dentist to get a filling.
check that.
not so normal.

It's 12:12pm on a rainy Monday.
I walked into the dentist office, and for the record...I like going to the dentist. I sat down in a chair in the waiting room and proceeded to watch whatever was on TV at the moment, which happened to be a news story about Southwest Airlines buying AirTran, or something of that nature. I sat there for about 5 minutes waiting patiently for mom to get there. She didn't get there before I got called back. :(
 I walked, into room number two. I sat down in the chair and chatted with the Dental Assistant. We talked about the rain and allergies and life. THEN the dentist came back. I've had Dr. Stout since I was little and he's still my favorite dentist. He asked me about my job and how things were going and we talked about Panera Bread while they started numbing my mouth. I actually felt the needle going into my gums and it kinda made me woozy, but I just laughed in my head and thanked God I don't have needle phobia like my best friend. :) 
The shot was done and I felt my mouth getting tingly and however else you describe that feeling after they numb you. Dr. Stout and the assistant left and told me to chill for a couple minutes while the drugs kicked in. I'm sitting there, chilling, and staring blankly at the wall. I think they should at least put designs on the walls so people like me don't get bored. But this adventure is just beginning.....
All of a sudden I started to feel really funny, like I was getting waves of hot flashes and started to feel really sick. My first thought was "oh gosh, i'm gonna pass out." But being the determined person I am I decided I WASN'T gonna pass out at the dentist!!!!!!!! So I stared at that wall with all the focus I could muster in my body and stared quoting the first scripture that came into my head: "God you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water." -Psalm 63:1
I quoted it and quoted it, then BAM! the walls went spotty and started spinning. I knew I had to tell someone that I was going under, but no one was around. I wasn't gonna panic, after all for some reason I like to pass out in places like the eye doctor, or randomly in the car...
Thank God the assistant was coming back right then and as I turned around in my chair, I woozily said "I'm gonna pass out now." And out I went. Just like that. 

I was spinning around flying an airplane...and spinning...and spinning...and going above the clouds...and all around...and spinning....and then I grabbed some Panera Bread and was eating...and spinning...and spinning some more.

Then for some odd reason, I woke up, in the dentist chair...NOT my bed!!! This was not supposed to happen. I always wake up from dreams in my bed. H-whaat?? "Where am I?? What's going on?? Why are these people staring at me??? 
Then things started to come back.
I'm at the dentist.
Getting a filling.
I passed out from the anethestic.
I'm hungry.

"Would you like some water?" the dental assistant asked. Oh boy would I ever! haha.
The next thing they asked was when was the last time I ate and what I ate. 
10:30 and toast were the answers. That was why I passed out they said. I didn't eat enough and the drugs reacted and sent me poof. :)

They didn't waste any time. Out came the drill and that spit vacuum and the filling started. Dr. Stout told me to raise my hand if it hurt too much or I thought I was gonna pass out again. Nope, I was good to go. I remember nothing except the sound of the drill then they were done. YAY! I got up and walked slightly dizzied to the desk where I met my mom. "Mom I passed out!" were the first words out of my mouth, then I proceeded to tell her the story. She told me to go sit in the van for a minute with dad while she paid my bill. Dad told me stories about when he passed out, so apparently this is a genetic thing. 
The world was foggy, but it wasn't like my eyes were seeing things foggy. It was definitely my brain. I wanted a milk shake from McDonalds so bad, but mom wanted to make sure I could walk straight/see straight/drive straight before she let me go anywhere. I assured her I was fine, except that my face was numb and my eyes felt like they were popping out of my head, and I looked like I was high or something. Off to McDonalds I went. As mentioned earlier, it was raining and there was a 'wet floor' sign in the entrance of McDonalds. I opened the door and pheeewwwwmmp, down I went, flat on my butt. :) My parents, being the nice parents they are, wanted to make sure I was Ok and followed me to McDonalds. They happened to be pulling in right as I made my 'typical Victoria entrance" and Mom pulled up and told dad to get out and make sure I was Ok, because she was sure I had passed out again. I love my mom.

A strawberry milkshake was in order and being that we are in Mercersburg, we knew pretty much everyone in McDonalds. The topic of conversation naturally revolved around my dentist escapade. I learned that in 1953 it cost $2 to get a tooth pulled and $3 to get a filling. And NOBODY got pain killer back then. :) Yep...I'm a baby.
I wanted to go to the DG and get some Gatorade, being I couldn't eat for two hours and the smell of french fries was about driving me up the wall. I assured my parents that I was ok, things were still a little foggy, but I could function ok.
Doller General. Slowest checkout line in America, and I was feeling really woozy. My parents were on their way to Chambersburg and I had no one to call to drive me, so God was gonna get me home. I just knew it!
Whoa baby. That drive home. Wow. I'm so thankful there were hardly cars on the road and that coming down the cove I got behind a truck going 23mph. Being dazed makes me wayyy more ADD that I usually am. I had to force myself to focus on the road and not the trees or ever just to stare into space.
FINALLY! 
I was home! 
Thank you Jesus!!!!!! :D
I walked in the door, and called over to the Eshlemans and asked if I could crash in their basement and watch TV all afternoon, or at least the two hours I had to wait till I could eat. So I chilled with Shane and Angela and watched Toy Story and CARS. What a fun afternoon! I don't remember how much I nodded off during the  movies, but i do remember waking up and realizing that my mind was no longer foggy! SCORE! :) The aftermath of whatever drug they had in me...whoa. Lets just say we ended up on the floor laughing a few times. haha. Although that's not too much out of the ordinary for Steph and me. ;)

...and thus ends the exciting events of my day off.  I learned I should eat a big breakfast before getting a filling, and that I'll never make it in life as a drug addict. I have too much fun sober. hahaha. Also, God really does watch out for us wherever, and whatever we're doing. And I'm thankful, because I wouldn't have made it home otherwise.

And besides, all these random odd events just make for more stories for me to tell in group settings! Beware!!
God Bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment